THE BATON ROUGE COTILLION POLICIES FOR 2018-2019
A. Membership Fees and Assessments shall be as follows:
1. Renewal of Membership
a. Junior and Senior Cotillion: $210.00
2. New Membership
a. Junior and Senior Cotillion: $235.00
a. Junior and Senior Cotillion: up to $50.00
4. Membership fees and assessments shall be determined by the Board on an annual basis. Fees and/or assessments for new and renewing student memberships shall be remitted through the official The Baton Rouge Cotillion, Inc. website during the renewal and new member registration. Failure to submit payment by the deadline will result in membership being automatically dropped from the roll.
5. A refund of the student membership fee shall be made only where a Student Member has relocated from Baton Rouge and has made a written request indicating their move by July 1st of that membership year.
1. STUDENT MEMBERS. “Junior Cotillion” shall be recognized and accepted as an alternate and commonly used term for the membership of those Student Members enrolled in the seventh through eighth grades. “Senior Cotillion” shall be recognized and accepted as an alternate and commonly used term for the membership of those Student Members enrolled in the ninth through twelfth grades.
2. MEMBERSHIP OPENINGS Immediately after the deadline for renewing student memberships, the Membership Committee shall determine which Student Members have declined or failed to renew their membership. New members will be derived from the draw or waitlist.
3. INVITATION FOR STUDENT MEMBERSHIP . All invitations for membership are extended through written invitation by the Membership Committee only. A parent of a Student Member in good standing may propose a qualified and eligible student for membership. Except as otherwise provided, each year, during a two (2) week proposal period set by the Board, any parent of a current Junior or Senior Student Member may nominate candidates for membership. Baton Rouge Cotillion proposed members must be currently enrolled AND enrolled for 1 previous school year in a school with a physical address in the city of Baton Rouge. All nominations for membership are to be made by parents of existing student members by completing the official proposal form provided by the Membership Committee. Proposal forms must be written and signed by current Cotillion parents ONLY and may not be given out to potential new members for them to fill out and turn in. Proposal forms will not be accepted and will not be put in the draw if: They are not filled out completely, and/or they are not legible.
4. INVIT A TION FOR STUDENT MEMBERSHIP FOR LEGACY OF STUDENT MEMBER. “Legacy” status only applies to a sixth grade student being proposed for 7th grade membership who has an older related sibling that is currently a member in good standing or that has graduated in good standing from The Baton Rouge Cotillion, Inc. This sibling must be related by blood (whole or half) or by legal adoption. Legacy status is only granted to a candidate through a sibling’s membership and is not given to a candidate with a parent who was previously a member of The Baton Rouge Cotillion, Inc. Parents of all legacies are responsible for sponsoring their own child for Junior Cotillion membership during the two (2) week proposal period set by the Board. If this child no longer has a sibling that is currently a member of the Cotillion, their legacy status is dependent upon a sibling who has previously graduated. In this case it is the Cotillion parent’s responsibility to contact the Membership Chair to obtain a proposal form before the proposal deadline. All other provisions for membership are equally applicable to each legacy. Failure to comply with same provisions, including deadlines for submission of fees, shall result in forfeiture of place on the invitation list to another student on the waiting list.
5. STUDENT MEMBER NOT ENROLLED IN SCHOOL LOCATED IN BATON ROUGE.
A Student Member in good standing who no longer attends school with a physical address in the city of Baton Rouge will immediately forfeit his/her membership and any membership fees or Early Bird registration after the August 1st notification of relocation deadline. This applies to any member who attends a public, private or boarding school outside the Baton Rouge city limits or receives a solely online or tutored education outside a public or private school environment. However, if this student returns to a school located within the city limits of Baton Rouge and has previously satisfactorily completed at least one (1) year of the dance/etiquette sessions he or she can have their membership reinstated by contacting the Membership Chair and submitting documentation of school enrollment and applicable membership fees.
6. INVITATION FOR STUDENT MEMBERSHIP DECLINED. The name of a candidate for student membership who declines said invitation for membership shall have his/ her name removed from the invitation list and/or waiting list and the name of same shall not be reinstated on either list until proposed for Student membership again as though proposed for the first time under the provisions outlined herein.
7. STUDENT MEMBERSHIP LAPSE. Reinstatement of a student membership which has been terminated for whatever reason, including failure to timely remit fees, requires proposal of same for student membership again as though proposed for the first time under the provisions outlined herein.
8. STUDENT MEMBERSHIP WAITING LIST. Vacancies are filled until the first official Cotillion event in the upcoming school year for both the Junior and Senior Cotillion. A waiting list of candidates for student membership shall be maintained. In order for the name of a candidate for student membership to remain on the waiting list, that candidate must be proposed for membership in consecutive years during the designated proposal period. If a vacancy occurs it shall be filled with a student in the same grade level on the approved waiting list at the discretion of the Membership Chair.
9. STUDENT MEMBERSHIP YEAR. For members who have renewed their membership, membership commences on July 1 and continues through the following June 30; Or, persons who join Cotillion through means other than renewal, membership commences on the date of the first official Cotillion event to which such persons are invited and continues through the June 30 after the next annual renewal and proposal period. The latest date that any Student Membership year may begin is the date of the first official Cotillion event is scheduled.
10. STUDENT MEMBERSHIP RETENTION AND PROHIBITED PRACTICES. All members, parents of members, and guests of members shall strictly adhere to the provisions of Cotillion, the violation of which shall result in referral to the Board for discretionary action to address same and may result in probation, suspension, and/ or expulsion from Cotillion.
11. DISCRETION OF BOARD AND/OR ACTIVE MEMBERSHIP. The Board and/or Active Membership has the complete, unfettered discretion to take whatever action it deems appropriate, including suspension and/or termination of membership of a Student Member, where same and/or his/her parent(s) and/or his/her guest displays any behavior whatsoever that is or could be interpreted to be contrary to the purpose of Cotillion.
C. Contract Agreement:
1. The Membership Committee shall prepare, distribute, and receive each Contract for renewal and/or acceptance of invitation for student membership.
2. Each Student Member and his/her parent(s) and/or guardian shall be required to agree by electronic signature to the Contract for renewal and/or acceptance of invitation for student membership.
3. Renewal and/or acceptance of invitation for student membership means that the Student Member and his/her parent(s) and/or guardian agree to comply with the provisions of the corporation and recognize and acknowledge that the primary function and goal of Cotillion is to provide dance/etiquette lessons, to teach appropriate social etiquette, and to sponsor events which provide a safe environment for application of lessons provided.
4. Cotillion strives for appropriate adult supervision and parental involvement at all regularly scheduled Cotillion events. Junior Cotillion Parents are asked to chaperone either a dance/etiquette session or seasonal dance. Senior cotillion parents with children in 9th, 10th and 11th grades are asked to chaperone one seasonal dance during the year.
5. Each Student Member and his/her parent(s) and/or guardian hereby waive any and all claims for damages in contract and/or tort and/or otherwise agree to hold Cotillion, its Board, officers, chairman, administrators, advisors, chaperones, members, and agents harmless for any accidents, injuries and/or damages which are and/or might be suffered and/or incurred by the member and/or his/her parent(s) and/or guardian and/or his/her guest which occur at any and all events under any and all circumstances except where Cotillion actually knew or should have known of a dangerous condition or circumstance and failed to take timely action to stop and/or eliminate the condition or circumstance.
6. Cotillion shall not be responsible in any way whatsoever for any item of any person that is checked in at any social function. Student Members and/or their guests are discouraged from taking anything of value to any social function. Student Members and/or their guests are on notice that Cotillion and/or its agents may accompany to the bathroom, or elsewhere, any Student Member and/or his/her guest who checks out his/her belongings from the check-in area. Each Student Member and/or his/her guest is encouraged to keep, on his/her person, at all times anything of value. The chaperones can be contacted for assistance to address personal needs. The Baton Rouge Cotillion, Inc. and/or its board of directors and/or its officers and/or its administrators and/or its agents, contractors, and/or representatives shall not, under any circumstances whatsoever, be responsible for any injury, intentional or otherwise, under contract, tort or otherwise, caused by any member of Cotillion, and/or its board of directors and/or its officers and/or its administrators and/or its agents, contractors, and/or representatives and/or any guest of Cotillion.
D. Dance/Etiquette Sessions
1. Policies applicable to Junior Cotillion:
- Certain policies for Junior Cotillion are distinguished from certain policies for SeniorCotillion as described below at “Junior Cotillion” and “Senior Cotillion.”
- Any Student Member who fails to complete the requirements of dance/etiquette sessions shall forfeit his/her membership.
- Regular and prompt attendance is required at all sessions.
- The roll at each session must be signed by the Student Member; otherwise the member is considered absent.
- Adherence to the dress code is required at all dance/etiquette sessions. No tennis shoes, flip- flops, t-shirts, tank tops, halters, racer backs, spaghetti straps, strapless tops, bare midriffs, or rompers. No shorts, capris, leggings or jeans of any style or color (including a skirt) are allowed. Dress/ skirt length should be no shorter than 6 inches above the knee. Boys must wear a belt. Girls must wear a closed toe and closed heel shoe.
- For the purpose of meeting the minimum attendance requirements, any Student Member who receives a “pink slip” for any behavior whatsoever that is or could be interpreted to be contrary to the purpose of Cotillion shall be considered absent. Notice of the same shall be forwarded to the parent(s) and/or guardian of the Student Member following the session. Three (3) “pink slips” shall result in termination of the Student Member.
- Chewing of gum shall not be allowed.
- All Dance/Etiquette Sessions are for Student Members only. No guests are allowed.
j. Student Members in 7th and 8th grade shall attend no fewer than 7 dance sessions each year. At least one of those sessions must be a session that is designated as a session where etiquette instructions are specifically provided.
2. Policies applicable to Senior Cotillion.
a. New members are not required to attend dance sessions.
E. Policies Applicable to Junior and Senior Cotillions
1. All Junior and Senior functions are held separately.
- Junior Cotillion: All social functions are for Student Members and their guests who are in 7th and 8th grades only. Social functions are from 7:30 p.m. until 10:00 p.m. Check-in is from 7:30 p.m. until 8:00 p.m. No one may be admitted to a social function after check-in or leave before 9:45 p.m. No one may be readmitted to a social function after leaving same function. Any exceptions to this policy must be made IN ADVANCE of the social function with one of the 7th or 8th Grade Advisors. Examples of these exceptions: special school event or family function.
- Senior Cotillion: All social functions are for Student Members and guests who are grades 9th through 12th only. Social functions are from 7:30 p.m. until 10:30 p.m. Check-in is from 7:30 p.m. until 8:00 p.m. No one may be admitted to a social function after check-in or leave before 10:15 p.m. No one may be readmitted to a social function after leaving same function. Any exceptions to this policy must be made IN ADVANCE of the social function with one of the Senior Advisors. Examples of these exceptions: special school event or family function.
a. Member dues include a Guest Pass allowing them to bring one guest. A junior cotillion member’s guest must attend the same grade and a senior member’s guest may attend 9th-12thgrade. A Guest Pass is not a physical “ticket” and is valid only when both the cotillion member and guest are present at check in. No guest will be allowed to attend without the member present. In the event a member is unable to attend a dance the guest pass cannot be transferred to another member.
b. All guests are subject to the same provisions for behavior as the Student Members.
c. Student Members are responsible for the behavior of their guests. As such, Student Members should be extremely careful in selecting a guest for a social function to avoid lossof student membership privileges because of non-complying guest behavior.
d. Student Members and their guests are to register at the designated check in with the parent volunteers upon arrival at any cotillion event.
e. Each guest must be accompanied by his/her Student Member at check-in.
f. Each senior guest must have suitable picture ID.
3. Any damage caused by a Student Member and/or his/her guests will the responsibility of that member and his/her parent(s) and/or guardian.
4. All social functions shall be chaperoned for the duration of the affair by no fewer than two (2) parent couples per hundred attendees.
5. No fewer than two (2) police officers shall be present at all senior parties. Where the club/ facility requires additional security, same shall be provided.
6. Physical violence of any kind will not be tolerated at any Cotillion function. Any student member involved in any physical altercation shall be subject to the following:
a) Student member will be considered not in good standing and membership shall be terminated.
b) That former Student Member shall not attend any Baton Rouge Cotillion function as a guest for one (1) year from the date of the incident.
c) No proposal for student membership of that Student Member shall be accepted earlier than one (1) year from the date of the incident.
d) Parent(s) and/or guardian of Student Member shall be notified.
7. Use and/or possession of alcoholic beverages, cigarettes, and/or illegal drugs of any kind whatsoever are prohibited at Cotillion functions. Tobacco or e-Cigarette smoking is prohibited at all Cotillion functions. Any Student Member using, possessing or appearing to be under the influence of same shall be subject to the following:
- a) 1. Student member in possession and/or under the influence of alcohol will be considered not in good standing and membership shall be terminated.
2. Student member in possession of any tobacco, e-cigarette, and/or vaping paraphernalia will be removed from that dance and prohibited from attending the following dance.
- b) That former Student Member shall not attend any Baton Rouge Cotillion function as a guest for one (1) year from the date of the incident.
- c) No proposal for student membership of that Student Member shall be accepted earlier than one (1) year from the date of the incident.
- d) Parent(s) and/or guardian of Student Member shall be notified.
8. A member of the Board shall be present at all Cotillion functions and shall have in his/her possession a copy of the membership list, photo membership cards and the official policies for the current cotillion year.
9. The Board has the discretion to take whatever action it deems appropriate, including suspension and/or termination of membership of a Student Member, where same and/ or his/her parent(s) and/or his/her guest displays any behavior whatsoever that is or could be interpreted to be contrary to the purpose of Cotillion.
10. The Board reserves the right to disclose information to the Student Member’s school when Student Member is found in any of the following circumstances:
- Under the influence and/or possession of alcoholic beverages
- Under the influence and/or possession of illegal drugs or substances
- Is involved in a physically violent altercation.
1. Email is our primary form of communication but postal mail is also important. Both Student Members and Cotillion Parents will need to register and update, as needed a current email address and mailing address.
2. Official Website is: www.thebatonrougecotillion.org. Each Student Member and his/her parent(s) and/or guardian are advised to log in on a regular basis for updates, instructions and notices.
G. Procedures for Disbanding of Cotillion
1. Should the Cotillion at any time find itself in a position where the mission of the organization is no longer viable the current Board shall take the following actions.
- The Cotillion shall embark on a two-year phase out plan.
- Notification must be made in writing to all current members no fewer than 24 months prior to disbanding.
- No new members shall be accepted during those two years.
- No membership dues shall be collected during those two years.
- All assets shall be disbursed to fund current cotillion activities as originally scheduled.
- Any assets remaining at the end of the two-year plan shall be donated to a tax-exempt organization, 501(c)(3), of the board’s choosing.
THESE POLICIES SUPPLANT ANY AND ALL POLICIES PREVIOUSLY ADOPTED BY THE BATON ROUGE COTILLION, INC. 08/01/18